Saturday 5 March 2016

My Experience with GP-5/SSB

Countycomm's GP-5/SSB is the prime radio for me now. Earlier I used RTL SDR and Kchibo.

Kchibo is not for HAM use. It is suitable for Broadcast(MW/SW/FM) listening. Where as RTL SDR is good for 5MHz to 1.7 GHz. I used it for BC,HAM band in 40m and 2m reception. 20m reception using modified driver under linux was not possible( I don't know Windows performance though).

After I got this GP-5/SSB receiver, my evening time pass is to listen to HAM QSOs on 20m mostly and sometimes on 40m too. This radio is a cute radio as you might have seen from my previous write-up or elsewhere. My friends here are envious about its performance and size.
With this GP-5 SSB I have received stations as far as Australia, Siberia, Srilanka, Oman and my latest reception of Netherlands (PD9Z). So also i have received local (VU) stations from Mangalore,Bangalore, Chennai, Vishaka Pattanam, Kolkata, Berhampore(Murshidabad), Patna, Nagpur, Kolhapur, Ahmedabad, Sambalpur, Bhubaneswar, Bramhapur and Delhi.

QRP and homebrew stations VU3JOJ from Murshidabad, VU3PLP from Bhubaneswar are my regular favourite.
QRO stations such as VU2DPI, VU2YK and VU2KD are received like broad cast station clarity.

To emphasize the sensitivity of this receiver, i can say I have received a portable mobile HF station(VK6HCF) from VK land.

Power consumption is higher ( As i observed). In the beginning  I used AA alkaline cells made by Panasonic India (Golden colour). Those cells are drained out in 3 to 4 days if I use for 2 hours in the evening and one hour in the morning. To eliminate the battery issue i started using 2100mAh NIMH cells. The same thing happened as I have to recharge the cells every 3 to 4 days. I consulted the manual. There it says "if NIMH cells are used then the set must be set for NIMH cells". I changed the setting to my surprise after even 7 days cells are showing full power and there is no issues.

Bottom line:
Cute small Radio for radio lovers.
 

2 comments:

  1. Are using only internal antenna?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, with telescopic antenna from My terrace, and the supplied wire antenna indoor.

      Delete

Neural Network from Scratch Using C (Part-3)

  XOR Problem In part 2, AND gate and OR gate could be trained using a single perceptron. But XOR gate could not be as it is not linearly...